Saturday, July 31, 2010

Summer Camp Shwia

These past few weeks have been insane. Frankly, I expected this summer to drag on but with all of the housing preparation, a few festivals I attended, my village's big festival and now training, time is flying by.

Before we headed to Azrou (word for rock in Arabic), Sami, Dave and I stopped by our friend Jesse's place to spend the night. It was a LONG trip from way down south where we live, up to this northern city. 13 hours on a bus. Thankfully we splurged for a "nicer" bus than the normal souk bus, or else it might have been unbearable. Jesse's was great. It was great to meet her host family, see her town, hang out in her apartment and have her cook up DELICIOUS food!

From there we headed into Azrou for our two week training that happens 3 months after we swear in. It has been a great last week. We are staying at this great little auberge on the outside of town that feels a lot like summer camp. It has been unbelievably helpful to see everyone, share stories and a game or two of challenge Uno. Most of what we are covering is "technical" in nature and pertains to implementing community based environmental education, trash clean-up, tree conservation and other projects. It has been nice to learn a little more about Morocco and hear about other Volunteer's placements.

The coolest thing we did last week was take a field trip to Ifrane national park, which is directly next to the town of Azrou. We got to spend a whole day outside, in the sunshine, just learning and hanging out. It was like a nerdy picnic. I enjoyed getting to spend some time outside since it is so hot in my site during the day, I feel like I am only outside when it is absolutely necessary. We were lucky to have nice weather, a breeze and some sunshine, though some shade would have been nice.

The next week will be more training's, ect and then headed back to my site, for the start of Ramadan and the month of fasting!


Jancy, Jesse and I on our field trip to Ifrane National Park.


Anton, me, Sami, Jancy and Dave.


We are jumping for joy.


My favorite village girl in her Berber Bride outfit at our festival.

No comments:

Post a Comment