-Since getting back from America, life has been very up and down. The transition back was rough. I was out of Morocco, in both London and the US, for the better part of February, and coming back was more difficult than I imagined. It's difficult to readjust to life so different and difficult. On the bright side I did pick up some new skills to help with the transition back in June!
-It was cold and now its hot. We had about a solid week of rain (even some flurries) where my house was leaking relentlessly through every wall/ crack and now its in the mid 80's outside and the high 70's inside. I turned my fan on for the first time since October.
-Party-central should be the new name of my village. We have had at least 3 "functions" aka parties since the beginning of March. They are always a good time with skits, dancing and some snacks. I especially love the cookies. I even made brownies for one of the parties and the women loved them. Moroccan women in my village love brownies but hate cookies. I can't figure it out.
-I saw my first wild boars. They are rumored to be everywhere and supposedly a "safety" risk for being out at night, but yet I had never seen one. I saw a pack of them, about 8 or 9, walking the mountains while I was on the bus the other day. They are quite large and quite scary looking, I am glad I haven't come across one until now.
-I was asked to take pictures of another "party" a few days back where the men of the village dressed up and performed a skit like Berber women. The ladies of my village got the biggest kick out of seeing these full grown Moroccan men dressed like women, dancing around in their big white scarves.
-Spring camp is coming up in just a few days. They are English-intensive week long spring break camps organized by Peace Corps volunteers all over the country. The one I am working is in Taroudant and I am really looking forward to it. It is also a camp in my region so I will be able to speak the local language, something I am looking forward too! (The problem being if I leave my region, my language becomes useless and I have to resort to English, French and some Arabic to get around).
-The weather has been amazing which has made life that much sweeter. It's finally nice enough to walk around again, outside, at least until the fire heat of summer comes back around again.
-Only 5 weeks until I am back in America again to see Claire graduate!!! I can't wait.
-April 13th is my Grandma Pat's 75th birthday so I wanted to wish her a happy birthday from Morocco (in case my internet isn't so good from now until then).
-I gave up soda for Lent and it's going great so far. I haven't had a soda since Fat Tuesday. Pretty good for me, especially for those who know my Big Soda addiction all too well!
-I have spent the last few days hanging out in Tafroute with Sami and Dave, Alex and Alex's parents recapping their cool trip to Portugal, drinking Port wine and cooking some delicious meals. If any of you ever take a Moroccan trip, Tafroute should be on your must-do list. It's a little off the beaten path but definitely worth it!
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment