Sunday, February 12, 2012

Wrap-Up Celebration! (I couldn't be more proud)

This post is a little delayed, sorry for that. I thought I had published it, but I guess this new Blogger set-up had me confused... again.

On Thursday, February 2nd the local commune and myself, paired with a grant from the Mid-Missouri Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Association hosted a wrap-up/ celebration/ sustainability meeting for the five communities and four associations who have constructed water towers in the last year.

I cried four times during the event. I was so proud of the commune, the associations and the communities that have worked so hard in the last year to get running water. 

We held the event at a room in the local commune building, which was decorated and set up just for us. The commune staff even put together a really professional video showing all of the pictures of the communities constructing their water towers. I really got a big kick out of the video, and anyone who comes to my welcome back party on April 13th will get to see it.

After summaries were given, local leaders spoke and we watched the movie, we started giving out certificates. Sarah-Kate and I gave certificates to all of the associations as well as local leaders and Lahcen, our counterpart. The commune gave certificates to myself, Sarah-Kate as well as the associations to congratulate them on a job well done.

The event was a smashing success. We ate delicious cookies, mingled and discussed ideas for future projects. I really am proud of all of the communities and their hard work over the past year. Their success is inspiring.
My counterpart Lahcen, giving me my certificate!
Me giving the certificate to the President of the Association we worked with.

All of us who came to the event!

Lot's of snacks, cookies, tea and juice!

The gift they gave us, these awesome VERY locally popular shoes.

The men who got us the gifts, my site-mate and myself. 

Lahcen was so excited about his certificate!

This is the really nice certificate they gave us for completing the projects!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cara, i just saw the video and photos for the water tower construction and it is really a good job. I am actually from anezi - douar ignaouen, i was not in ignaouen for more than one year. I am really impressed by your courage and your colleague's also. It's not easy to live there for two years. But be sure that people there really appreciate your work. They are saying only good things about you. I talked to my grandmother few days ago and she told me that all women worked together on moharam's day to offer you argan oil, the only thing they can. I wish you good luck and thank you for all you did for anezi people... Hassan

    ReplyDelete