Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Rabat, Congratulations and a Pending Vacation.

I have not been able to form coherent thoughts and opinions recently, at least ones of sufficient length or quality to post on this blog so you will have to suffice with random bullet pointed thoughts. Sorry.

-One of the most talented and capable people I know just got hired on as a Chapter Development Consultant for Kappa Delta Sorority for next year. I am so super excited for her. It is a REALLY difficult position to get and she is going to be great. I just know it.


Megan Ogar at Disney World for Kappa Delta convention.

-I think I am the only person in the Western world who doesn't own boots, like dressy boots. I am definitely the only person ANYWHERE that isn't wearing skinny jeans. I didn't know that being gone 11 months could put me so far behind on life.

-I may be the only person on the planet to say this but I love meetings. I love sitting around a large desk with lots of other people talking. I love the schedule/ agenda and how productive I feel during them. These past few days I was in Rabat meeting with the Safety and Harassment Working Group to discuss harassment related trainings for trainees and PCVs as well as ways Peace Corps Morocco can help support volunteers faced with harassment. Harassment (sexual, religious, gender, sexual orientation, race) is a huge issue in Morocco and something volunteers face on a weekly (if not daily) basis and this group was a great step forward in providing support. I am extremely impressed by the meeting we had and the things we got accomplished. It was great to be in Rabat, meeting with other smart people to talk about an issue that challenges me. I love problem solving and this was a whole day of that and I loved it.

-Today at the bus station I was starving after my 4 hour train ride and only had 5 minutes before I had to start my 4 hour bus ride and I wanted to get some food. After buying a Snicker's bar I headed to the cafe to get a soda. The guy at the counter told me it was 11dh (which is EXTREMELY expensive) but I only had 7dh on me so I politely told him it was kind of expensive and I didn't have that much money on me. The guy laughed and then out of no where this waiter from the cafe took my 7dh and paid the difference. Needless to say I got a free soda from a nice Moroccan (non-creepy) man. I felt like it was a big step forward in my life.

-Today my petit cab driver asked me if we could go to school and pick up his son before heading to my hotel. I happily agreed and realized that I live in a place where this sort of behavior is approiate, even encouraged. I also got to see a new "suburban" part of Agadir.

-After my phone fell into the toilet hole and every person in my village tried to save it I finally admitted defeat. The Moroccan women in my co-op couldn't handle the thought that I would be without a phone so they started a quest to locate me a new one. Only 2 days after my phone fell in the hole and a day after I pronounced it dead, I had a new free phone in my little hands. The only payment, lunch at the family's house. I love living in and being a part of a community that actively seeks to support its fellow members. I also love living in a place where my company at a free meal is "payment" enough. Its pretty cool.

-The ladies of my co-op cooked a "going-away" dinner for me before I left on Sunday. They wanted to get together and wish me luck on my LSAT test. I thought that was pretty cool.

-For the Super Bowl a bunch of my fellow PCVs who were in Rabat, along with the Ambassador and his family and a bunch of American's that work in Morocco (at the Embassy or otherwise) went to a party at the Marine's house in Rabat. We ate hamburgers and hot dogs with real condiments and Kraft cheese, drank American beers and watched the game on the Military channel. I did miss the cool Superbowl commercials but I got to see lots of "pep" messages from the Joint Cheifs of Staff, the Secretary of Defense and even President Obama thanking us for our "service". Since it's a military channel I know whom it was directed at but it was still pretty cool. I sincerely enjoyed and appreciated the company of so many native English speakers, so many Americans and loved the selection of American beers. It was one of the better Superbowl parties I have ever been to, even if the game didn't start until 11:30pm.

-My sister Claire was accepted the number one graduate program for Student Affairs this week at the University of South Carolina. She is going to have to bust out her Sperry Top Siders, Croakies and Conferedate flag apparel for her journey from Columbia (MO) to Columbia (SC). I couldn't be happier for her!



-My Dad starts his new job this week so I wanted to wish him the best of luck. I know its going to be great!

-I got peer-pressured/ forced to purchase these Indian looking mocassans at the last festival in Tiznit and I have fallen in love with them. They aren't the boots that are so popular but they are super comfortable for places not in my village (the rocks cause problems with soft soles).


-I got a new book in Rabat that I am so excited to read. Its called "A Man on the Moon" and its nearly 700 pages about our journey to the Moon. I am really that nerdy.

-Just saw the commercial for the new Transformers movie coming out July 1st. I cannot wait. I love the movies so much.

-Finally, my May vacation/ adventure to the land of the free and home of the brave was approved yesterday so its official. I will see everyone in May.


I love this photo of my friend Maria dressed in traditional Berber attire.

1 comment:

  1. LOVE.

    the new layout, Ogar getting CDC, Claire going to SC, you getting a new phone and meetings. I love meetings too.

    ReplyDelete