Friday, February 19, 2010

A new gadget and a new friend.

Well today was quite an eventful day, as far as my last days in America go. Today I went to lunch will a fellow Mizzou Alumni, TJ Graven who is also leaving for the Peace Corps.

First off, we went and got Indian food and we enough naan to hold me over for a little while at least. Then we took a trip to all future PCV's favorite store, REI, where we found lots of nifty gadgets and plenty of backpacks with enough straps to make any true outdoorsey person go crazy. From there we headed to the world famous (or at least Mid-West famous) Ted Drewes frozen custard for a Cardinal Sin. All-in-all the lunch meeting was quite successful and it was nice to talk to someone who is in the same boat and is going through the same things I am.

TJ is leaving for Madagascar a week from today. While Madagascar sounds like a great place to visit, especially if King Julian and the Penguins are there to greet you, the harsh reality is that Madagascar the movie is not the same as Madagascar the country! I wish TJ the best of luck and I know he's going to love it there! The diversity of plants and animals alone is enough to make any scientist drool, and the prospect of adopting a lemur as a house pet could make the lack of electricity easier to overlook.

If you want to follow his Peace Corps adventures. http://www.tjargon.com/index.html

After I got home and took a much needed nap, I woke up to my Kindle on the kitchen island :) Yes, I broke down and bought the second generation Amazon Kindle. This way I am not using my very limited weight limits to bring books, instead I can bring hundreds of books in my purse.

I just started downloading books, but so far so good. I can keep you posted on my first impressions of the Kindle if you are also interested in getting one.

All-in-all it was a great day and I look forward to the going-away party this weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment