I am officially through most of my first holiday without my family and my religion :) I spent a good portion of last night trying to explain to my family why I wanted to make the 30-45 minute walk to the nearest town to get internet so I could call my family. I was mostly successful...
Other than that it was quite weird to wake up on Easter Sunday without the sound of breakfast being cooked, my dad yelling about how we were going to be late for church and my yellow bunny basket filled with treats! Instead I woke up and it was just any other day.
At noon, a group of us met up to begin the walk. My mother had locked me and the girls in the house while she went to cook bread, so we left as soon as she got back! When we got to the nearest town, we saw some fellow trainees, health kids and walked with them to the Kasba. The Kasba was used in the filming of Gladiator and it quite a hot tourist spot for Euro tourists.
The Kasba was cooler from the outside than the inside but we did get a good look of the surrounding areas and the view was nice. On the way down we found Martin's host aunt's house inside the Kasba. She invited us in for tea and we had our first really good dialogue practice for Tashlheet. I was suprised at how much we understood each other. The language is training is slow but steady and hopefully I will get a little bit better before my site visit in a few weeks.
After that we grabbed lunch at a little cafe and then I headed to the cyber for some SKYPE time with my family and it was quite nice. It was awesome to feel like I am there, even thought I cant physically be there!
We are getting ready to head back to our site to get some sleep and hopefully a shower before another full week of learning Tash.
Miss you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment