Thursday, April 15, 2010

A smile goes a long way.

There are some days where I wake up and think “what am I doing?”. Yesterday was one of those days. Everyday here poses a different challenge and opportunity and some days I am just more aped to deal with them than others. The main point I am making is that despite the challenges and opportunities that lie in each and every day here in Africa, the smallest things that make you feel welcome can make the biggest difference. Everyone knows you’re an outsider and every can see that you are new at this, so the slightest things that make you feel welcome are always appreciated. After one of these rough days, my mother Fatima, who is a saint, cooked me a delicious dinner of scrambled eggs with tomatoes, onions and green peppers as well as some homemade hasbrowns. I am not sure how she knew, but I think she could tell when I walked in the door that I was looking for a comfort and she did that for me. It was literally the smallest gesture on her part that made all the difference. It was the one welcome sign that I belong here and that my family and the community want me to be a part.

I cannot speak enough on the hospitality of my family and the village as a whole. They have opened their arms and welcomed us silly Americans who cannot even wash their own clothes, into their homes and lives. They have been more than patient with teaching us Tashlheet and even more patient with teaching us about Morocco. I am eternally debted to them, particularly my family, for providing me the great starting foundation I need to successfully serve for the next two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment