Saturday, April 24, 2010

Welcome to my new reality.

I have been doing a lot of thinking over the last few days in relation to my "new reality". I guess in a sense, everyone is in a new reality all the time, but this one just seems so stark and contrasting to my old reality. In my old reality I had hot running water on demand, everyone spoke a language I understood and I pretty much had the social customs figured out. In my new reality, none of these previously understood assumptions exist, yet it doesn't feel that foreign. That is the part I have a hard time understanding.

While my new reality is so starkly different, it feels so natural. Maybe that is a testament to the human spirit and that you can actually get comfortable anywhere. I dont have hot running water and 99% of every day is spent trying to figure out what people are saying to me, but yet its not that difficult. I dont find myself struggling with the differences as much as I expected I would. Yes it would be nice to shower in a clean shower and eat some food that isn't a tajine, but all in all, I am liking the strikingly different reality.

I guess the point of this is to say that you can really come to accept and appreciate anything. I haven't even been in Morocco for that long (only 2 months) yet I find comfort in this new reality. Its quite awesome actually.

I also wanted to point out that you can derive pleasure from even the smallest of things.
For example:
A soda with ICE at McDonalds in Agadir
Dave giving me little pieces of his chocolate bar
A funny text
Anyone understanding what I am saying in Tashlheet
Seeing an english TV show or movie
Listening to a great song
Meeting up with fellow Americans who have figured this Peace Corps thing out.

I guess what I am saying is that life is really not nearly as dramatic as it used to be and its quite nice that something as simple as ice can change my whole outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment