Wednesday, January 12, 2011

The Art of Being "Alone"

One of things I have learned to master in the Peace Corps is the art of being alone. Its surprisingly harder than I would have ever imagined to be in your own company for many hours out of the day.

Peace Corps sort of eased us into this rural normalcy stage by stage until finally we didn't even realize how alone we were.

I have learned to just be comfortable in my own presence and frankly, that can be difficult at times. Sure I have neighbors, I live next door to my work and the children are always a-knocking but I am still alone. Alone in my world of English speaking and Western movies, a cool beer after a rough day and my love of books. The old adage holds true that you can still be alone in a room full of people.

As the months have passed on I have learned to deal with this. I have started getting to know myself and trying to keep the not-so-great parts hidden. I have learned to cook and read and pass days in the presence of just myself.

A month ago this all changed. Claire came into town and I have had a non-stop companion, someone to share funny stories with and help cook dinner. Today Claire left and I feel more "alone" than ever. I had become accustomed to someone to be around who "gets" me.

The reality is that I must go through a re-learning of the process all over again, learning to be comfortable in my own company.

The good news is that I have 8 hours of bussing tomorrow to begin that process :)

1 comment:

  1. 'The old adage holds true that you can still be alone in a room full of people.'

    True that.

    ReplyDelete