Saturday, March 20, 2010

Culture, even when you dont expect it.

I just had one of those life changing “cultural experiences” everyone keeps talking about. We stayed a little late from school, around 6 or so, and I walked home afterward. I was met by Hamid who told me the parents weren’t home, which was unusual but I didn’t think anything of it. I grabbed my computer and the table and headed for the living room to get in some music listening and studying Tash at the same time.

About 15 minues later, Fatima came to the house, told me to grab my stuff and follow her, we were going to meet her family. Great, I thought, some other cultural interaction. We went to this great house with outside painted doors I had seen everyday when I walk to and from school. The house inside was amazing. A huge open room and at first I thought it was some sort of a women’s club, but nope it was a house. I believe her mothers house but I am still sketchy on the details.

Needless to say there was still no furnature but a TV in one corner and a little hangout area in another. I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, a reason we don’t always know. Tonight just proved that further. After I got a prime spot next to grandma, who was about 120 years old, and tried out my chit chat tash skills, I openied my book and started studying.

The reason I know this night was meant to happen was because it brought me all things I had been wanted to do. Meet more people in the town and family. See new houses. Help cook. Get uninterrupted time to just study my book, practice my langague skills and see the stars.

At first I thought they were preparing dinner but Im pretty sure there was a man only party happening in the next room and the women had the back room to themselves. We sat there for nearly 5 hours…. A lot you might say but honestly, the walk back gave me the best view of the stars I have ever seen! It was amazing how clear and bright and HOW MANY there were. Wow. So all in all I would have liked to have eaten around 9 instead of 11 but oh well and yeah I missed some sleep but I also got to see life behind the scense of a Moroccan party.

Also, my host mom rocks. Everyone was heckling me about eating and she told them that I don’t eat that much at dinner and then handed me an orange, because she knws I like oranges for dessert. Shes great, really. I couldn’t have asked for a kinder women to be my teacher. One of these days I will be able to speak to her, but as she reminds me, little by little I will get it!

Imick s mick (little by little).

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got to see the very positive side of family life there. How nice that they included you in their extended family party.

    ReplyDelete