This new plan involves more "doing" and less "watching". This week I have been lucky enough to help out with the production of Argan oil, the pride and joy of the co-op. It is quite a complicated process really. Heres the rundown.
1. Collect the Argan nuts from the trees after the "fruit" part has fallen off or been eaten by the goats.
2. Use two rocks and crack open the hard outer shell.
3. Separate the inside of the nut from the outer hard shell.
4. Collect all of the softer nuts and roast them over a flame for a couple of minutes.
5. Take the roasted nuts and hand-grind them into a paste.
6. Take the paste and manually mix it until the oil separates from the harder molecules.
7. Clump together the harder stuff, squeezing the oil from the paste.
8. Filter the oil.
9. Bottle and package for sale.
The process to make this stuff is so labor intensive, I cannot get over it. Also, they yield is such a small percentage compared to the inital nut. The co-op and I have spent the last 3 full days working on this and we barely even have 10 liters.
The truth is that the women really love being together and making this product. It is not all work and no play, there are numerous tea/ bread breaks and lots of gossip. I have enjoyed spending the time separating nuts, roasting the nuts and even trying to make the paste, but its hard work. It brings a whole new perspective to the term "manual" labor.
To everyone back home, this Argan oil is GREAT for cook and for cosmetic purposes. I will be bringing some home to share with all of you in May, so you can try out this extremely rare oil for yourselves.
One of my co-op ladies cracking the hard outer shell with 2 rocks.
Sorting through the nuts and shells.
The Argan nuts after the "good" part has been picked out.
My favorite little girls. Sometimes I play instead of work, but its okay.
No comments:
Post a Comment