Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Car Themed Scarves

So I have been meaning to write this post for a while, and its 100+ degrees outside today, so today is the perfect day to write it. The women of my village are pretty conservative as far as behavior and dress, even compared to other villages in Morocco. They generally wear pants, a long skirt over the pants, a couple of long sleeved shirts, covered with a collared shirt or sweater, their heads covered and then a large scarf they use to cover their heads and if needed, their face. Mind you, we are pushing 100 degrees F today, with no air conditioning.

It may seem like an excessive amount of clothing and I couldn’t agree more. Mind you, I am in a tee shirt, sweater, scarf and long pants (the bare minimum) and am on fire 80% of the time, even before this heat wave. The cool thing is that these large scarves they cover the top half of their bodies with are really colorful and beautiful with fringe, ect. One day I decided to look a little more closely at these sweet scarves, turns out they have designs of car company symbols all over them. I couldn’t believe it.

Much like the atomic symbol Jellaba my host mother used to wear all the time, many of the women in the village are wearing large colorful scarves that are decorated with Toyota and Ford symbols. I have no idea where these scarves came from, probably souk in Tiznit, but its just so funny that so many women have them.

So every time I see a women walking through the village, I have to let out a little chuckle at the Toyota symbols covering her body.

No comments:

Post a Comment