Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A New Outlook.

This past week has been stressful, but not in the traditional sense. I have not been overwhelmed with looming deadlines and extensive to-do lists, instead I have been learning to cope with the stress of having little to do. Granted, I do have lots to do, but not in the way you would expect. My current to-do lists consists of much broader things.

Here are some examples:
1. Learn Tashlheet
2. Start looking at my Moroccan Arabic book (so I can travel in Morocco eventually)
3. Look for housing since I have to move out of my host families place on July 1st.
4. Plan something to celebrate 4th of July (and hopefully Felicie's birthday).
5. Start looking for items to fill my new "house".
6. Meet as many people in my village as possible.
7. Practice my Tashlheet again.
8. Clean up my room, wash my clothes.
9. Start checking off PACA goals.
10. Check my mailbox
11. Go to souk and start making a name for myself.
12. Meet with the local english teacher and start setting out some goals for the fall.

As you can see, these are more "big picture" than "looming deadline" goals. This is quite a change of pace from my undergraduate and short post-graduate careers. I have always found that I thrive under pressure and the lack of pressure that I feel, I am learning to adapt.

The most important thing I have learned during my time here is adaptation. The best way I can put it is "adapt or die". Every day we, as volunteers, are adapting to new surroundings, new cultures, new languages, new ways of life and an entirely new way of doing things. This adaptation comes slowly, as expected, but is indeed coming along nicely. I am enjoying learning a lot about myself and my capacities as well as learning how to live in a completely new and exciting way.

As of right now, I think I have found my house. I am looking forward to getting started painting, ect and making it my own. This will shortly jump higher up on my list of to-do's for the month, under learning Tashlheet thought, that has to be priority one.

Love you all.

1 comment:

  1. sooo happy things are going well and you found a place!! can't wait for more pictures!

    ReplyDelete